Book Online CALL: (08) 83400388

499 Port Road, West Croydon 5008 Adelaide, South Australia

Toxic Dangers

Port Road dog and cat Vet

Easter Toxic dangers for your Pet.

Port Road dog and cat Vet

Easter can be a treacherous time for our pets. We want you to be aware of the toxic dangers that are present during Easter time.  Find out what needs to be done if your pet eats something it shouldn’t.


Chocolate is always a potential danger for our furry friends but especially around Easter time. Even a small amount of chocolate to some cats and dogs can be devastating.
Dark chocolate and unsweetened, bitter chocolate are the most toxic because they contain the highest concentrations of the toxins theobromine and caffeine.
Signs your pet ingested chocolate can include hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, elevated or abnormal heart rates, or even seizures.

Chocolate ingestion can be an emergency.  Pet owners should contact their veterinarian immediately if they suspect their cat or dog has consumed chocolate.

Easter Lilies

Easter lilies can make a beautiful bouquet, they are extremely toxic to cats. All parts of the lily are toxic, which means cats who simply groom pollen off their fur can be poisoned. Ingestion can lead to severe kidney damage, resulting in kidney failure within 1-3 days and potentially death if untreated.

Hot Cross Buns

Hot cross buns may be a treat for us, but can be deadly for dogs. This is because sultanas, grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs even in small amounts. Symptoms typically develop a few hours after consumption and can include vomiting, abdominal pain, kidney failure and death if left untreated.

Easter Grass

Easter Grass is the shredded paper or cellophane often found at the bottom of Easter baskets. Composed of long threads, this “grass” is often tempting for a playful cat and it can become lodges in the intestine causing an obstruction if swallowed and may require surgery.

If you are unsure of anything that your pet has swallowed then book into see us sooner rather than later.  Call us on 08 8340 0388 if you need to come in.